Monday, 24 January 2011

Apache - Girl Warrior

by Tanya Landman

I was brought-up playing "Cowboys and Indians" with my three brothers, reading stories about the "wild west", and the cowboys were always the "goodies".  But now I like to think that I have a better sense of "history", and consequently like to read stories that closely reflect what actually happened. Apache - girl warrior is one of these stories.  It is well written and well researched, and provides an excellent mind-picture of what life was like in places such as Southern Arizona during the 19th Century, before reservations were established.

This story also touched me with it's sense of place because I have been there and travelled through the land that could easily have been the place where these Apaches lived.

Highly recommended - Secondary School students and adults.